Job Description: Registered Nurse
Reports To: Home & Away Care Manager
Purpose of Role
Home and Away Care is looking for caring and compassionate Registered Nurse (RN) to become a part of our dedicated team and join our mission of enhancing the lives of all ages including children and aging adults throughout our community. Home and Away Care provides a variety of both medical and non-medical services to all age groups that allow those who wish to remain in their home and meet the challenges of injury, illness and disability with dignity, care and compassion. We specialise in facilitating smooth, successful transitions from acute or rehab settings back to the adapted home environment. Our expertise and experience will guarantee the highest level of support to families in our care. The fundamental principles underpinning our homecare philosophy are safety, stability, person-centred approach and an integrated approach to quality care.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts an initial client assessment to ensure an integrated patient centred approach is adopted which considers and responds to the holistic needs of individuals using our services. The nurse is responsible for developing a Plan of Care in consultation with the person using our service, identifying the risks and needs of the person and ensuring that these needs can be met. The Nurse should ensure that the care plan is kept under review as and when required and or every two months or on the request of the client or in response to changing needs.
- The Nurse will provide the highest professional standards using an evidence-based approach, care planning approach.
- Practice nursing according to Professional Clinical Guidelines, National and Area Health Service (HSE) guidelines, Local Policies, Protocol’s, Guidelines and Current Legislation.
- All outcomes from the care planning reviews are to be actioned, recorded and communicated to the relevant carer’s.
- All nurses must be fully abreast of the standard of service they are required to provide.
- The nurse may be asked to conduct in-home visits in accordance with guidelines and regulations,
- The nurse will supervise Health Care Assistants/ Care Workers and companions as appropriate.
- Provides hands-on training/orientation as needed for Health Care Assistants/ Care Workers in client’s home according to duties outlined in the client’s Plan of Care.
- Consults with the client, client’s family and other healthcare professionals to provide and maintain safe and efficient client care and review progress.
- Prepares necessary paperwork for company’s policies and NMBI policies and National guidelines as appropriate, give non-discriminatory care and support that values the diverse and unique qualities of each customer.
- See the whole person and not merely a list of care needs.
- Foster best use of resources, effective service delivery for the patient and family.
- Provide clinical consultation as an active member of the interdisciplinary care team.
- Provide skilled assessment and intervention for children, adults, complex /or life-threatening conditions and their families.
- Carefully observe identified goals in the care and support plan which has been agreed including assistance with all ADL’S, not limited to the following,
– All aspects of personal care
– Showering and bathing
– Dressing and grooming
– Toileting and continence care
– Encouraging, reminding; assisting and giving medicines as appropriate
– Ordering and collecting prescriptions if required
– Returning unwanted medicines to the pharmacy for safe disposal as required
– Assistance with eating and drinking if required
– Helping the individual to plan what to eat and drink ensuring choice
– Safely using aids and personal equipment in a manner that respects the dignity of the individual.
– Ensure the implementation of measures to enhance the quality of the physical and sensory environment in so far as it impacts on patient dignity and safety and the needs of the individual to include the client’s family if appropriate.
– Social and physical activities or mental stimulation might include,
– Answering the door and greeting visitors.
– Answering the telephone.
– Writing cards and letters or emails.
– Taking a client out shopping, to see their friends or to other activities.
– Engaging the individual with hobbies and recreations such as reading, photo albums, games or as appropriate to the individual’s likes.
- Supporting an individual through temporary and or long-term terminal illness as appropriate and within your scope in the person’s home environment and or at times accompany the individual to Hospital if he /she requires admission to ensure integrated care.
- Collaborate with the patient, family and team to identify option’s, goals, and priorities for advanced care planning if appropriate.
- Support the development of systems to facilitate to the greatest extent possible the preferred place of care.
- Ensure participation in on-going auditing, evaluation and review of the quality of care provided
- The nurse maybe required to accompany the patient / individual to Hospital appointments.
- To link in and liaise with community health support and families as appropriate.
- Maintain nursing records and reporting all relevant information in accordance with local service and professional standards, including but not limited to the following;
– The care and support that you provide and any nursing interventions that you provide/ deliver.
– Changes to a person’s condition or other concerns you might need to report,
– Faulty equipment or hazards in the home should be reported and action as appropriate initiated.
– Response to emergencies, accidents and incidents as per policy guidelines within your scope of practise
– Any Safeguarding matters in relation to vulnerable adults and or children as per policy guideline to be reported in accordance with national guidelines
– Contact / communication with families or carers and other professionals should be maintained in a professional manner to ensure the needs of the individual using our service are met.
Other matters as required by Home and Away Care procedures, policy and guidelines to include but not limited to the following;
- Maintain necessary confidentiality information about individual’s, their families, other staff members and any company information secure and confidential.
- Maintain professional standards in relation to confidentiality, ethics and procedures.
- Work well as part of the Home and Away Care team.
- Participate in team/staff and any other meetings as required as appropriate to your role.
- Attend training activities, appraisal and development meetings as and when required.
- Training in line with regulatory requirements will be required.
- Caring and compassionate towards people in need of care and support.
- Respect for people suffering from a range of medical conditions with different cultural backgrounds and beliefs to your own.
- Commitment to non-discriminatory care practice.
- Self-motivated and keen to learn.
- Willing to seek guidance when needed and follow instruction as required.
- Excellent time keeper and reliable.
- Good hygiene practice, including personal hygiene, and a smart appearance to include non-slip foot wear and use of PPI, s as and when required.
- Compliance with the dress code.
- Good stamina and a level of fitness to meet the physical demands of the job.
Knowledge and Understanding
- General understanding of the needs of people who require care and support
- Respect for the rights of the person using our service and an understanding of the importance of giving the best possible care and support centred on the individual needs and wishes of each person
- Compliance with confidentiality, understanding of why confidentiality is important and what this means as a care worker
Experience and Skills
- Ability to listen, communicate clearly and build positive working relationships with people, families, Home and Away Care staff and other social and healthcare professionals
- Ability to give care and support to individuals with aspects of their daily living in a manner that respects their dignity is non- judgmental and promotes their independence, choices and privacy.
- Good organisational skills, so individuals receive the services they expect.
- Ability to use own initiative and work alone or as part of a team especially in an emergency.
- Ability to support individuals in managing their money and buying shopping or paying bills when requested to do so as appropriate.
- Ability to keep written records in clear English about the care and support given to everyone, including help and or prompting with medicines and or nursing intervention’s as appropriate to the needs of the individual
- Ability and willingness to follow Home and Away Care’s policies, procedures and instructions
- Commitment to respecting individual’s’ rights at all times including their rights to privacy, dignity and independence.
- All staff are expected to meet regulatory training standards so willingness to undertake training as and when necessary.
- Experience of continuous quality improvement in healthcare.
- Highly organised resilient and able to remain calm and focused under pressure.
- This role will require you to obtain Garda Clearance. Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
- A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
- Full Drivers Licence and own transport is required
- Must hold a relevant nursing qualification and be registered with An Bord Altranais (NMBI)
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience as an RN.
- Experience of working with children or adults with disabilities
- Experience in Hospital Care, Home Care, Hospice or Assisted Living experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Desire to work in the community
- Thorough knowledge of HIQA standards and regulations.
- Ability to work under own initiative
Depending on service needs you may be assigned an area where you will be expected to provide nursing care to more than one person/ cohort of patient’s.
This list is not exhaustive and from time to time you may be required to undertake additional duties.
Probation: Every appointment of a person shall be subject to a probation period of 6 months.
Annual Leave: The annual leave associated with the post is to be advised at job offer stage.
Protection of Person’s Reporting Child Abuse or abuse to Vulnerable Person’s must be reported in accordance with national regulation.
Infection Control: You are expected to have a working knowledge of Health and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example Standards for Safer And Better Health Care, National Standards for Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infection’s, Hygiene standards etc.
To apply for the position of Registered Nurse with Home and Away Care, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Registered Nurse” in the sublect.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Home & Away Care on 023 884 2253.